Overview of Role
The role will support our major clients in the civil and defence nuclear power generation industries. This work will involve working to civil / defence and nuclear codes and standards as well as National and International standards with the potential for responsibility for significant programmes / schemes of work. The position involves the provision of support to a long term legacy PLC replacement project, for fuel route control systems on AGR nuclear power plants. Working under supervision, either individually or as part of a team, to deliver high quality work to time, quality, budget and customer satisfaction.
• Successful execution of high quality engineering work to time, quality, budget and customer satisfaction.
• Accurately estimate work for proposals/tenders.
• Plan and manage own engineering design and assessment work within associated project budgets.
• Engage with clients in order to understand technical needs and task requirements / scope.
• Identify areas to improve efficiency and bring innovation where possible.
• Maintain and develop successful working relationships with engineers in client organisations.
• Continually develop technical knowledge and competence in field of expertise, and seeks to develop skill portfolio.
• Provide support to Software, C&I and Safety System Engineers at our Newcastle office for the development and testing of code migration & dynamic model/simulation environments including:
o Implementation & testing of PLC software modules & systems.
o Design implementation & testing of simulation software devices for complete project simulation.
o Design, configuration, implementation & testing of SCADA systems.
Preferably educated to Degree level in a relevant engineering of scientific field, however HNC/HND considered in a mathematical, scientific or engineering discipline (or with equivalent qualifications and experience).
An appreciation of technical risks associated with work and able to discuss / advise on how to manage these with Responsible Engineers or Team Leaders
• The ability to write good concise English is essential
• Experience of the application of engineering skills in some of the technical areas identified above, preferably over the full project lifecycle in the nuclear sector / industry.
• Knowledge and experience of the principles of measurement and to design and review design proposals for nuclear instrumentation.
• Knowledge and experience of Safety Cases and supporting probabilistic and deterministic equipment safety case assessments / requirements.
• Knowledge and experience of a broad range of C&I equipment and it’s application in both conventional and safety related applications.
• Previous work on PLCs in safety related applications is desirable, however not essential.
• Knowledge of PLC programming and system integration, SCADA configuration and software testing techniques and experience of installation and commissioning of PLC / SCADA systems is desirable.
• Knowledge and experience of relevant guidelines, standards and practices, specifically IEC 61508 / 61513 / 61226 is desirable.
• Experience of working in a regulated industry.