Opportunities exist within the engineering delivery unit for Mechanical Engineers / Technical Architecture Leads who will specify, design, and develop mechanical plant and equipment for Defence projects.
Candidates should have a strong focus on delivery to quality, cost and time within a process driven environment, be self starters and able to work as individuals or as part of a team.
• You will capture task requirements and translate into design intent.
• You will be responsible for the detailed design and specification of mechanical components and equipment including welded/fabricated structures. You will underpin these designs by conducting stress analyses, thermal analysis, fatigue and fracture analyses, and also by documenting FMECA workshops with involvement from other engineers.
• You will produce design substantiation reports to demonstrate that safety functional requirements are met. You will define manufacturing quality requirements, inspection requirements, installation requirements and testing requirements.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• Educated to degree level or equivalent in mechanical engineering or a related discipline.
• Previous experience of design substantiation and knowledge of the design codes and standards applicable to the nuclear industry.
• Knowledge of structural design, welding and manufacture in a nuclear environment, though experience gained within other highly regulated industries will also be considered.
• Ability to negotiate, influence, and communicate effectively with internal and external customers at all levels and be able to deal effectively with ambiguity and multiple problems whilst working to tight timescales.
• You will be proficient in the use of MS Office. • Experience with engineering design software tools (preferably NX, ANSYS, MathCAD, Pro Engineer or other similar packages). Desirable Skills and Experience:
• Membership of an engineering professional institute would be preferable but is not an essential requirement.