Our Client has been investing heavily over the past few years in the role data and analytics plays within the company as it moves to a more data-driven organisation. We are looking to build a strong in-house capability to support this not only from a Group IT perspective but also bringing greater collaboration across the business to maximise value and re-use.
As part of this change we are looking for an Enterprise Data Architect that will continue the establishment of “Data Architecture”. This is an opportunity for the successful individual to actively shape this discipline and subject area for the Clients interacting with all areas and levels of the business.
This role provides the leadership necessary to shape and drive into a data-driven business. Key aspects of the role's scope are to manage the organization's information as a corporate asset and to raise the role of a managed data architecture in the Client programs/projects, improving the company’s data maturity and literacy.
Primary responsibilities will include the wider recognition of an Enterprise approach to Data Architecture, the curation and cross-functional sharing of information, communication of the semantic meaning of data, maturing of our data architecture standards and processes and assuring data quality in the contexts within which it is used.
- Be responsible for the definition and management of enterprise information assets.
- Work with senior management and data custodians to establish our data vision, and to create a culture that treats data as a cross-corporate asset.
- Be a key stake holder and contributor to data architecture initiatives at group, sector and business unit level.
- Lead the development, publication and maintenance of the corporate information architecture, as well as a road map for its future development that matches and supports business needs.
- Identify new kinds, types and sources of data to drive business innovation throughout the organization. Define processes for the effective, integrated introduction of new data.
- Identify and standardize the use and governance of information in support of the overall business strategy.
- Be the leader of the data models that support the provision of insights that help drive strategic and tactical business opportunity, and be a champion for a data-driven, decision-making culture.
- Establish the role of the business data stewards in each major business unit.
- Support the establishment of controls on data quality, interoperability and sources to effectively manage corporate risk.
- Organize and lead a data governance council (DGC) to apply four precepts: data principles, standards, policies and guidelines.
- Own and maintain a Our Client Data & Analytics maturity assessment process that allows the evolution of our capability to be tracked.
- Define and manage policies and programs for data stewardship and custodianship in concert with legal, information security, and corporate risk and compliance offices.
- Support the definition of master data and metadata management policies, controls, and standards, including reference data.
- Monitor master data and reference data for compliance to policy, standards and conceptual models and to maintain data effectiveness.
- Be a marketing champion for the information services that the enterprise provides and the information management capabilities it has.
- Ensure that appropriate audit controls exist for data that serves as the source material for regulatory reports.
- Work closely with the Enterprise Architect team to better incorporate data components into our design and build processes.
- Actively monitor the data management industry for emerging management tools, skills, techniques and technologies, and document cases where applicable for their timely introduction for competitive advantage.
- Research and develop new data products or services to expand capability, and to grow company revenue.
A bachelor's or master's degree in business administration, computer science, information management or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Preferably five or more years of experience in information-intensive industries or digitally advanced enterprises
- Experience in establishing the data architecture role within an engineering/project focused company.
- Experience in integrating complex. cross-corporate processes and data models, and/or designing strategic metrics and scorecards
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to work across business lines at senior levels to influence and effect change to achieve common goals
- Experience in strategic data architecture planning and execution, and policy development and maintenance
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Familiarity with business information generation and analysis methods
- Ability to effectively drive people, process and technology change in a dynamic and complex operating environment
- Experience to develop a framework for information management, as well as to sell and embed it in all levels of the business
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to explain digital concepts and technologies to business leaders and business concepts to technologists; able to sell ideas, value and process internally at all levels.
- Demonstrated knowledge of having worked in Asset and Project Management based organisations and resultant information needs within a Govt/Defence environment, including risk and regulatory factors relating to information flows
- Demonstrated knowledge of data structure; information systems/tools, and related software and data management; enterprise content management, and record-keeping policies and practices in a complex regulated organizational environment.
- Experience in developing a data strategy that supports all aspect of the BI/Analytics spectrum from descriptive BI through to predictive ML/AI based analytics.
- Willingness to drive change, Identifies and acts on opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Able to communicate ideas or positions in a persuasive manner that builds support, agreement or commitment.
- Take actions that directly or indirectly influence others to create buy-in, gain trust and motivate actions in others or win concessions without damaging relationships.
- Able to build formal and informal professional networks. Maintains and extends networks within, across and external to organizational boundaries.
- Foresees new opportunities and threats ahead of others. Paints pictures of the future scenarios ahead so others can easily understand.
- Experience in developing step-by-step road maps and capability development models
- Can improve organizational performance though the application of original thinking to existing and emerging methods, processes, products and services.
- Can set and accomplish challenging goals.
- Examines issues, and creates plans with a long-term perspective. Good at generating ideas, and critically evaluates future scenarios.
- Encourages and facilitates a collaborative and results orientated approach to problem solving.
- Willingness to coach/mentor others to raise the maturity and capability around data exploitation within Our Client.
- Willingness to undertake reasonable travel for work.