About The Role:
The difference our new Management Accountant will make:
Defence Systems Technology (DST) is currently undergoing a transformation programme to equip itself to grow further and faster in the future and it is an exciting time to join the organisation. As a Management Accountant based in Programmes you will be a key member of the team, working on high priority project. You will be required to learn quickly and take on a role that will be “hands on” and require strong relationships to be built with all stakeholders in order to be successful where relationships are based on respect, trust and collaboration. The key responsibilities for this role will include:
What You Will Need:
- Someone who is prepared to innovate in order to succeed by solving complex problems by implementing elegant solutions.
- Someone who continuously champions high performance, challenges the status quo, actively seeks out different perspectives and speaks up.
- Someone who cares about how things are done, not just getting to the end result by behaving respectfully towards their team, peers and leaders.
- Someone who is customer focused in their thinking.
- Demonstrates commercial awareness having spent time in a business facing role.
- Has experience or background of operating in an engineering or manufacturing or defence based environment.
- Has experience or background in building/using financial models.
- Is familiar with the principles of project accounting.
- Has worked in a large organisation which operates on an ERP.
- Excellent listening and communication skills and can use them to understand requirements and tasking as well as influence others around them.
- A self-starter, who is performance driven with a desire to make a significant contribution/impact. Is able to work independently and as an active team member.
- Be able to articulate and present financial issues to both finance and non-finance audiences in a clear concise way.
- Can cope with periods of pressure like those that occur around month end reporting periods and during forecasting cycles by having a hands on, flexible and self-motivated approach.
- Possess the ability to effectively manage your workload, time and stakeholders in order to meet requirements and priorities in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Understands the importance of adhering to deadlines at critical points in both the month and quarterly cycles and works well to sometimes tight timescales.
- Enjoys learning new systems and is proficient on excel and seeks more efficient ways of working.
- Is prepared to travel as required.
- A critical thinker who can understand complex issues (balancing the detail and the big picture), using insight/data (evidence) and their judgement to make good decisions and have a positive impact.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Qualified accountant with 2-5 years PQE (either ACCA, ACA or CIMA).
- Location of the role is Ashton, Bristol
- Bristol is a vibrant city in south west England with a wide range of attractions, landmarks, events and shopping. It has excellent transport links and is only 1.5 hours from London by train. This role is based at our Ashton House site.
Where it all fits in:
Defence Systems Technology (DST) forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock’s Marine organisation. Our dynamic and motivated leadership team is committed to an exciting transformation agenda that will help DST to innovate, modernise and create a more people-focussed business that can support our customers’ mission. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, DST employs approximately 1,500 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth, Leicester, Portsmouth and Ashchurch.
The finance team of 40 people based in Bristol and Plymouth partners with the business at all levels to enable informed decisions to be made. Supporting a growing international business brings new stakeholders, challenges and complexity, but the brave team thrives on autonomy and is able to challenge where needed. The team’s future strategy is to maximise the possibilities of automation for reporting, freeing up the team to add real value and intelligence. They’ll focus not on what’s happened in the past, but prepare the business for what’s about to happen, why, and what to do about it.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.