The Supervisor will:
- Report to our clients General Foreman.
- Be fully conversant with the Company’s Health and Safety Policy and understand the responsibilities placed on him/her.
- Set standards and expectations in line with company initiatives such as People Who Do The Right Thing and People Who Lead Safely (Front Line Leader programme)
- Ensure that their teams are briefed and set to work in line with company procedures.
- Specifically interest of Safety he/she shall:
b. Be fully conversant with the Company’s Health, Safety and Environmental Policies and understand the responsibilities placed on him/her.
c. Ensure that employees under his/her control know and understand the Company’s Health, Safety and Environmental Policies
d. Operate within agreed systems/procedures applicable to the work of the site or facility. Full, appropriate, use of the services of Health and Safety personnel should be made to assist and advise him/her in carrying out his/her duties.
e. Ensure that all procedures and instructions, relevant to the activity (ies) being undertaken as detailed by the Company are known and complied with.
f. Routinely check the workplace and activities undertaken in order to ensure that these continue to be satisfactory in terms of Health and Safety and maintain a record of the checks. Particular emphasis should be placed on establishing that plant, tools and equipment are available and safe to use. Safe access to places of work coupled with the highest standards of housekeeping are equally important.
g. Ensure that all the employees under his/her control are instructed, trained and capable of carrying out their duties in a safe manner. Particular attention must be paid to non-routine operations. New or transferred employees must not undertake task without appropriate induction, instruction or relevant training.
h. Be fully conversant with company and UKAEA event reporting procedures, carry out preliminary investigations of unplanned events and take prompt remedial action.
i. Ensure that all unplanned events are reported to line management as soon as is practicable.
j. Ensure that protective clothing and equipment is issued to employees as required and that all employees under his/her control are instructed as to the use and maintenance of such clothing and equipment.
k. Co-operate with the Company Health, Safety and Environmental team in the implementation of their recommendations.
l. At all times set a personal example for employees to follow in the observance of Health and Safety requirements.
m. Continually seek to improve Health, Safety and Environmental standards and make suggestions to departmental heads or to health and safety personnel on possible improvements.
n. Ensure visitors, including contractors, are aware of hazards that may exist on the site or premises. Where visitors have been provided with protective clothing and equipment, Supervisors/Foremen will ensure that it is worn.
o. In order to ensure contractor’s activities do not affect the health and safety of Company employees or members of the public, or damage the environment, arrangements must be made to monitor their work.
p. Where any problem is experienced in the implementation of any health, safety or environmental matter or where any remedial actions cannot be taken, the problem must be referred immediately to his/her line manager.
- Ensure that sufficient and suitable records of progress, through Daily Log and Labour Returns, are produced and submitted in a timely manner.
- Allocate labour and resources on the site works in a manner consistent with the programme for the works. This will be done in co-operation with the other Foremen/Supervisors to maintain maximum progress with the resources available.
- Produce forecasts of resource and labour requirements to satisfy the needs of the project programme for his area of work.
- Ensure, by means of recorded weekly toolbox talks, that all employees are aware, understand and sign onto relevant method statements, risk assessments and any issues arising etc.
- Record any problems encountered during the site works and notify the General Foreman of the details at the earliest opportunity.
- Ensure compliance by our clients personnel and UKAEA provided resources with the requirements of the relevant method statement and associated documents and related legislation.
- Communicate with all levels of labour under his/her control on any aspect of the company’s business which may be appropriate.
- Promote communications between those under his/her control and other groups on the site in order to ensure the site is working in a most efficient and effective manner possible.
- Liaise and communicate with the client and/or contractor on any aspects that are appropriate.
- Ensure that only suitably qualified and experience personnel (SQEP) are used for the work in hand
- Ensure that suitable Risk Assessment (including the Point of Work Risk Assessment) have been carried out, prior to commencement of work, in accordance with the requirements of the appropriate, site specific Health, Safety and Environmental and Welfare Plan (HSEW plan)