The Spent Fuel Consolidation (SFC) Programme exists in order to ensure the continued transfers of materials to Sellafield from Dounreay
About The Role:
- This is a key enabler to allow Dounreay to reach its Interim End State and a key factor in determining the long-term security arrangements for the Dounreay site.
- A holistic long-term strategy is required for the storage of three fuel streams, including dry or wet storage options, in line with the National Programme transfer dates / strategic tolerance.
- The study is required to provide the necessary logistical, technical and financial underpinning to allow SFM/SL to make informed decisions on the best approach in time to allow physical works to be implemented.
- Short term assignment to assist current project team with peak work load.
- Senior Mechanical Engineer with good SL experience of mechanical handling/fuel transfer techniques and nuclear package design.
- Main role will be to assist the Lead Mechanical Engineer in the development and preparation of fuel handling process diagrams/MHDs, tooling requirements, cask design review and engagement with suppliers, and assessment of long-term storage of fuel in transport flasks.
- Higher education qualification/degree or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience of innovative ideas and front end design/study work showing creativity and fit for purpose solutions.
- 5-10 year’s experience in roles where engineering knowledge was a key attribute.
- Security Clearance Requirements Preferred - Currently holds P1/P4 pass and SC Clearance.
- Radiological Status Requirements N/A
- Design Tools experience MS Office applications