Provides technical authoritative Health, Safety and Environmental advice and support to project delivery teams including construction projects, operational facilities and offices as required. To undertake health and safety audits and inspections to identify non-compliance and feedback to line managers, gain agreement to a programme of improvements to ensure & maintain strong HSE performance. At this level, provides formal and informal advice, identifies areas of non-compliance, writes reports and makes recommends generating HSE improvement, works with line management to deliver improvement plans, challenges the status quo and ensures compliance with Health and Safety management arrangements.
This role covers a range of activities within the Health & Safety portfolio supporting the HSE Manager / Senior HSE Manager and Business Unit Director/SHEQR Director. At this level has a range of HSE skills and experiences and applies these to business areas of high complexity and business risk. They are expected to have knowledge and experience of working within a highly regulated industry ideally having worked on a nuclear licensed site. They may also have specialist skills such as Fire Risk Assessor, Noise Assessor, Training Development & Delivery or CDM compliance management experience.
- Undertake health and safety audits and formal/informal inspections to ensure full
compliance with all process standards and legal & statutory requirements.
- Provide HSE advice and guidance to project/line management on working practices and arrangements to ensure that work activities are undertaken safely and in compliance with company arrangements and applicable legislation.
- Provide advice on the development of safe systems of work and risk assessments to
ensure that they identify and take account of all relevant hazards and consider how risks could be reduced.
- Write and circulate health and safety reports that summarise areas of non-compliance, discuss with local management and identify areas requiring improvement.
- Maintain up to date documentary evidence of inspections, audits and audit finding such that these can be filed and retrieved at any time.
- Supporting the SSHEQR Director in ensuring that any new legislation, or revised business instructions are integrated into health & safety procedures such that the BMS remains fully up to date.
- Ensure that all events are promptly investigated at the correct level, and that key lessons learned from events are identified and promulgated.
- Support the Business Directors generating and delivering local HSE Improvement Plans wide SSHEQR Improvement Plan.
- Support local HSSE Consultation meetings.
- Actively promote good practice safety behaviours, delivering toolbox talks, monitoring and reporting on safety performance, creating safety communication material etc. as required to support a positive safety culture.
- Review and process Health & Safety appointed positions applications and renewals.
- National (NVQ) Level 5 Diploma Occupational Health and Safety Practice, or
BSC Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health, or NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety.
- Qualification in Science/Engineering Degree or equivalent plus experience.
- Minimum Grad IOSH and registered on appropriate CPD scheme.
- Approved Auditor qualification (or has demonstrable skills and track record).
- Competent Risk Assessor.
- Ability to investigate events using industry best-practice causal analysis tools.
- Have a proven track record preferably gained within a similar role in the Nuclear or other highly regulated high hazard industry.
- Good working knowledge of the Nuclear industry.
- Good working knowledge of all relevant health and safety regulations and legislation.
- Good working knowledge of the Customers health and safety requirements where
- Good working knowledge and application of ISO14001, BS:OHSAS 18001/ISO45001.
- Good working knowledge of the requirements of the nuclear site licence and
environmental permitting arrangements.