About The Role:
Project: HALES Mechanical Substantiation
The Plant Facing Design Office (PFDO) deals with urgent plant related issues, supports System Engineering with design support and handles emergent maintenance delivery issues with design content.
PFDO have a requirement for a Mechanical Substantiation Engineer to undertake fit-for-purpose, pragmatic design substantiation documentation to address gaps in substantiation in the HALES safety case. The Structures, Systems and Components (SSCs) to be substantiated comprise existing, legacy Safety Features (SFs) that have been designated Safety Function Classes (SFC) - SFC 2 and SFC 3. The types of equipment include:
- Mechanical handling equipment
- Lifting Equipment
- Pipework and associated components
What You Will Need:
- Degree in relevant engineering discipline with at least 2 years design delivery experience OR other qualification such as HNC or HND, with 5-8 years design delivery experience.
- Significant experience in providing fit-for-purpose mechanical design substantiation ideally on Sellafield facilities.
- A key aspect of this role is the ability to quickly self-deliver pragmatic fit-for-purpose, concise substantiation documentation working from a brief scope definition with minimal supervision
- There will be a need to liaise with SL System Engineering personnel based at Sellafield and Design Capability Subject Matter Experts in undertaking the substantiation work.
- Familiarity and experience of working and complying with applicable SL Practices, standards, and engineering guides.
- Familiarity with safety case principles. Capable of providing design substantiation for equipment with designated nuclear safety functions to demonstrate that existing legacy equipment can meet the required safety function placed on it to the appropriate safety function class. Identifying shortfalls and potential ALARP solutions where applicable.
- Ability to navigate existing substantiation and inspection reports where available to identify and extract relevant information that can be used to support the substantiation argument and evidence.
- SC preferred but BPSS is acceptable - Please only apply if you already hold valid SC level nuclear clearance or if you are able to obtain.
- Sellafield IT account holder preferred
- Safety Case indexes