Overall Department Direction:
In order to deliver the MOD’s submarine programme over the next 40 years, a significant programme of infrastructure investment will be required on the Devonport site. A new ‘Major Infrastructure Projects’ (MIP) Business Unit is in development to drive the development of Devonport’s Infrastructure to support the future needs of our customers.
The MIP Business Unit is an enduring capability and there will be a wide range of further infrastructure projects to come. We will be working closely with the BUs responsible for maintaining the existing infrastructure and with our customer to determine what its long-term needs are.
Main Purpose of Role:
You will be responsible for the delivery of nuclear process engineering work packages to the required scope, quality, schedule and cost. You will be required to manage the technical aspects of the nuclear process engineering packages from identification of the need, through to handover.
Duties could include:-
- Lead and managing one or more technical design packages agreeing project related objectives, managing designer performance and making appropriate technical management responses
- Ensuring that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by the Project Manager and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget
- Planning for effective project implementation, identifying key factors and leading the project’s technical planning process
- Ensuring that effective safety quality management arrangements are in place and adhered to
- Liaising closely with other teams and stakeholders and ensuring that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks associated with the work undertaken by the delegated engineering team through effective management and communication of the Risk Assessment
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences:
- The post holder must be able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills required in the technical management of complex design development throughout the design lifecycle
- Provide expert advice to the sub-contracted design houses to enable them to develop the design
- Sound understanding of engineering design and safety practice as relevant to discipline, post and project requirements
- Sound project specification, planning, project management and budgeting experience
- Sound understanding of Company and departmental procedures relating to Design, Health & Safety and Quality requirements, and ability to manage projects in accordance with these procedures
- Working knowledge of relevant engineering office computer applications
- Experience of the design support to construction, operation, refit/repair of conventional and nuclear submarines and/or facilities
- Must be qualified to degree level in a relevant engineering discipline
- Chartered Engineer or working towards chartership status