About The Role:
To provide or deliver engineering conceptual and detailed design, drawings, modelling, calculations, and technical solutions in the delivery of customer funded tasks and/or projects. Will likely be the Technical Lead or Functional Lead on tasks or projects and hence will manage teams to deliver engineering and technical solutions. Supports peers and more junior members of staff, may have line management responsibilities.
As well as performing tasks outlined in the Key Result Areas of a Senior Engineer, a Principal Engineer will undertake the following:
- Assessing and approving concessions and technical queries.
- Establishing, leading and maintaining the engineering configuration, ensuring that the overall Design Intent and integrity is maintained throughout design development and subsequent changes.
- Preparing quality plans for single and multi-discipline work packages.
- Leading and preparing discipline answers and estimates for bids.
- Supervising senior engineers/technical specialists within same or multi discipline teams
- Ensuring that adequate Reviewing, Verifying & Approval is undertaken on all their deliverables and for those under their direct control and supervision
- Leading and providing peer assistance of bids, tasks, designs or projects.
- Representing the discipline to customers, regulatory and external bodies.
- Independent assessment of the technical basis of claims and disputes.
- Reviewing industry best practice for implementation.
- Substantial demonstrable experience post degree qualification covering a range of engineering and/or technical topics including design, analysis, specification, safety case support, installation, commissioning, and supervision of staff/contractors. This would ideally be covering a variety of tasks or projects across a range of complexities.
- Nuclear industry or other safety or regulated industry preferred.
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer or Scientist. Note that some science institutes may work to different “professional accreditation” models.
- Corporate member of one or more relevant professional institutions. Fellow preferred.
Engineering or Science degree.