About the role:
- The Principal CS&A Technician will form a leading role within a design team undertaking Civil,
- Structural or Architectural design activities.
- The Principal CS&A Technician is an SME in their respective discipline area. They are fully
- conversant with Engineering and Architectural activities and contribute to design solutions along
- with leading coordination of multi-discipline design activities and developing BIM processes and
- procedures within projects.
- Provides help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective
- working, and their development, provides coaching and assistance to others.
- The role requires a good understanding of engineering, architectural and design practices as
- relevant to their discipline and is embedded in a design team or may work across multiple design
- teams. The Principal CS&A Technician should have a wealth of experience across the full lifecycle
- of CS&A design.
- The role requires excellent knowledge of CAD, written and verbal communication skills, a depth of specialist knowledge and experience related to relevant subject areas and an excellent
- understanding of CDM and design for construction. The role also requires a concise understanding and ability to apply BIM principles and processes.
- The role must be fully aware of and adhere to Health & Safety standards and be fully familiar with all authorised documentation, Good Practice Guides and ISO standards.
1. Ensure effective management of team to ensure timely & efficient delivery of design work
to meet customer agreed scope.
2. Delivering Nuclear design work, inspections and construction site support on projects for
a range of public and private sector clients within the UK and overseas.
3. Supporting the preparation of designs for facilities, structures and infrastructure of
varying complexity, including production of relevant models and drawings using Autodesk
products, particularly Revit, AutoCAD, and Navisworks throughout the various stages of
the design process.
4. Working with integrated multi-disciplinary teams to deliver design solutions. Promote
effective co-operation across design and other functional teams.
5. Where required allocate discipline tasks to allocated team of technicians, check team
drawing outputs, and ensure integration of inter discipline design in accordance with
company and regulatory standards.
6. Become point of contact with engineering colleagues and various stakeholders for multi
discipline related issues during design lifecycle, lead design reviews and ensure
integration and functionality of design.
7. Maintain effective methods of client communication and design presentation.
8. Assisting and mentoring team members to promote their technical and professional
9. Support in the solution of problems of varying complexity that may arise during the design
stage, fabrication, construction, installation, commissioning and decommissioning.
10. Accurately report on a periodic basis, specified by the Technical Lead on a project, the
estimate to complete assigned tasks.
11. Understand, support and lead the process for developing and implementing BIM
compliant systems and processes.
12. Act as SME for CS&A design and detailing software.
13. May be required to carry out various specific BIM roles on projects if required.
14. Contribute to learning from experience (LfE) requirement, during and post project.
15. Maintain knowledge of current best practice in application expertise across the design
lifecycle, including customs and standards and ensure these are communicated to and
embedded in project teams.
16. Promote a culture of best practice in design expertise and provide leadership and assist in
driving cultural development and change.
17. Exercise care for own health and safety and that of others as defined by Health and Safety
legislation, adhere to endorsed Company policy, procedures and delegations (e.g. Health
& Safety, Diversity & Inclusion, Performance & Development Reviews and Finance etc.)
Ensure application of highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of
responsibility and ensure all team members across engineering co-operate with respect to
company standards about matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and
18. Support the business winning process through input into or review of tender
requirements, including estimates.
19. Support business development opportunities.
20. Leading Self: Is a role model, demonstrating Cavendish principles, promoting health,
safety and wellbeing, respect and inclusion.
21. Leading Others: Supports the performance and development of their team members,
including effective and ongoing communication and feedback.
22. Leading Resources: May be asked to be responsible for effective planning and
organisation of resources to deliver on customer promises.
- HNC minimum in a relevant discipline OR equivalent academic qualification
- Demonstrable experience across the full lifecycle of design activities
- Extensive knowledge of CAD tools and BIM processes
- Knowledge of General Engineering and Architectural Drawing Practice