We’re looking for a Senior Quality Assurance Engineer (SQAE) to join us at HMNB Devonport, one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe. We’re a key strategic partner to our customers; the MOD and the Royal Navy. We ensure that the UK Royal Navy goes to sea safely by supporting them in Devonport and around the world, delivering complex ship and submarine sustainment programmes and applying our core strengths of technology and expertise to sustain critical and complex assets to help maintain national security.
The Through-Life Facilities & Infrastructure Quality Assurance Team, as part of the DRDL Assurance Function provide independent assurance that business project management teams deliver upgraded, modified, and new infrastructure which is fit for purpose and in accordance with both internal management arrangements and external regulatory requirements.
As the SQAE you will be supporting the Programme and Project Delivery Teams, as the Programme Quality Lead, during the defined lifecycle phases from Start-Up to Handover as they design, manufacture, construction, install and commission the new or upgraded facilities required to support the planned maintenance activities on both submarines and warships.
The SQAE will report to the Principal Quality Assurance Engineer (PQAE). The SQAE duties will include but are not limited to:
- Providing support to Projects at an early stage to define appropriate quality requirements,
- To assure Life Time Records (LTRs) provide effective evidence that the design intent of plant, equipment and Infrastructure has been achieved,
- Providing advice to Suppliers and Subcontractors on producing the required Life Time Records (LTRs) and undertake reviews to provide assurance that the records meet specified requirements,
- Interfacing with and providing advice to Project Management, Engineering and construction Disciplines on project Quality related matters,
- Review & provide improvements into Project deliverable documentation,
- Reviewing and mark-up Quality related documents such as Inspection & Test Plans (ITPs) & Quality Management Plans, and support contractors in their development,
- Ensure that all handover documentation is prepared & maintained on an ongoing basis to enable work package completion in a timely manner,
- Conducting internal and external audits,
- Supporting ongoing efforts to raise the quality and delivery capability of the Suppliers and Subcontractors,
- Assisting in the investigation / resolution of problems / issues and improvements,
- KPI/Metric development & Maintenance,
- Quality representation in weekly Project/Programme meetings when required,
- Preparing good written reports for Inspections, audits and submit regular project Quality updates as determined by the project team.
- Knowledge / Experience of quality management systems and their requirements (Preferably BS EN ISO 9001),
- A strong level of communication & presentation skills (written & verbal),
- Self-starter with good priority management skills,
- Capable of acting competently, decisively, and quickly on Quality related issues,
- Ability to work under pressure & remain focused.
- Certified as a Lead Auditor or have significant previous experience in auditing systems, processes, products or suppliers. (Preferably BS EN ISO 9001).
- An NVQ Level 4 or recognised professional status or significant experience in relevant engineering discipline with NVQ Level 3 in an engineering discipline.
- Experience of Quality Planning for products or projects relative to the full Project or Product Lifecycle (APQP / PPAP),
- A recognised professional qualification in Quality Management or equivalent experience of working as part of or leading a quality management team,
- Nuclear sector experience preferred,
- Experience delivering quality on infrastructure contracts.
- The successful candidate will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving ‘Security Check’ (SC) clearance.
- We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.