About The Role:
Marine Structures engineers are responsible for: the design and substantiation of Category A and B
seatings and foundations to meet military and commercial requirements; determination of scantlings to
classification societies’ rules and regulations; the development of the associated scantlings plans; and
dockyard support e.g. lifting and turning of plant/equipment/build units and structural repairs. Marine
Structures engineers are involved in all phases of the design lifecycle producing technical reports,
substantiation calculations and providing technical support as required.
The role requires; demonstrable experience in marine structures on vessels/marine platforms,
demonstrable experience of using classification societies’ rules and regulations and national and
international standards, demonstrable experience in using design packages e.g. Finite Element (FEA)
Analysis and 2D & 3D Computer Aided Design (CAD). Experience working with and within engineering
teams as well as good written and verbal communication skills.
Key Result Area:
- Primary deliverables are technical reports and substantiation calculations for installation solutions,
- repairs/conversions to existing vessels and in support of concept designs;
- Preparation and production of technical reports and substantiation calculations for solutions
- covering the entire design lifecycle phases (Concept, Basic, Functional, Detail, Manufacturing,
- Installation and Decommissioning), in line with recognised standards and to the required: time, cost
- and quality requirements;
- Liaise with design teams, production teams, classification society representatives and other
- stakeholders throughout the design lifecycle to ensure coordination and functionality of design,
- including supporting design reviews;
- Develop innovative design solutions;
- Provide solutions to manufacturing and installation issues by assisting in the resolution of technical
- and production queries;
- Produce technical reports and other documentation;
- Be aware of and ensure that, health, safety and environmental requirements are implemented;
- Assist with the maintenance and improvement in quantity standards of outputs.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
- The Marine Structures engineer is required to demonstrate proven experience in the naval/marine industry with
- Defence related design experience being an advantage.
- Ideally degree qualified but HND/HNC level qualification in naval architecture, marine engineering
- or mechanical engineering with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered;
- Ideally you will be a member of a relevant institution (e.g. RINA, IMechE, IMarEst etc.) and hold, or
- working towards, Incorporated or Chartered status;
- Either already UK Security cleared or able for achieve UK SC clearance.