The successful candidate will exhibit strong interpersonal skills and an ability to influence at all levels of the Business, a questioning attitude and the courage to stand out whilst remaining objective, proportionate, and pragmatic.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It’s why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy’s new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
Please note that this is a permanent position and salary is negotiable.
What do I need to do the role?
- Recent regulatory experience
- Experience in the management, operation, and maintenance, or safety oversight of, and/or engineering or technical support to nuclear or other high hazard plants.
- Extensive experience of developing, implementing and advising on HSSE arrangements.
- Good analytical skills to support critical reviews of performance.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills enabling consistent, transparent, and constructive delivery of sometimes unwelcome feedback, challenge, or advice.
- Ability to build relationships and establish networks, and use them for gathering and sharing intelligence.
- Chartered membership of a relevant professional institution or able to demonstrate performance and / or experience at an equivalent professional level.
- A degree, or equivalent, in an appropriate scientific or engineering subject.
- National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health Certificate.
- The successful candidate will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving ‘Security Check’ (SC) clearance.
- Babcock offers a supportive environment including: enhanced employment terms and conditions, money purchase pension scheme with life assurance, share ownership scheme, Occupational Health services, flexible working hours (only non-industrials), career opportunities and specialist advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams. Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts.
- We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.