- Can be technically responsible for all pipeline engineering work and allocating, supervising, and directing preparation of project deliverables. Subject to project size, will delegate some level of supervision and specific checking activities to appropriate competent personnel.
- Capable of formulating resolutions and supervision of technically challenging and/or high profile issues, with support from Consultant Pipeline Engineer/ Lead Pipeline Engineer or Project Engineering Manager, and effectively communicating with Clients and Senior Management.
- Reviews the ITB (Invitation to Bid) documents submitted in the proposals stage, prepares man-hour estimates and provides input to project execution plan.
- Supervises, reviews and checks the pipeline activities including: Philosophies, Specifications, Routing Studies, Mechanical Design, Material Selection, Corrosion Protection, Stress Analysis, Layouts, Drawings, Datasheets and Technical Requisitions & Bid Evaluations. Identifies and resolves discrepancies and divergences from original proposal/ contract by raising technical queries with projects / client.
- Capable of participating in Factory Acceptance Test’s.
- Participates in multi-discipline Engineering Design Reviews and provides all necessary pipeline engineering input and support to close out of actions.
- Identifies a clear scope of work and supervises preparation of the Technical Document Register (TDR). Responsible for planning/scheduling the pipeline engineering activities and manpower resource. Quantifies the total number of engineering deliverables, man-hour allocation and format of delivery, and other requirements for execution of the work. Provides necessary regular project controls/ reporting input to Project Management.
- Provides support to Procurement including long lead items enquiry: prepares Technical Requisitions, reviews vendor documentation and provides Technical Bid Evaluation support to ensure design conformance.
- Ensures compatibility and conformance with client specifications and recommends cost effective improvements to equipment selection/specifications within the scope of client specifications and requirements.
- Consults Quality Assurance with any quality issues ensuring compliance with our client’s ISO Quality procedures, Project Quality Plan and Design Integrity processes and procedures. Co-ordinates Internal and client audit requests and facilitates audit procedures of engineering systems within the department. Complying with other accredited frameworks such as ISO 14001.
- Contributes to training and development of other staff including identifying employee strengths and weaknesses and recommends training and development requirements.
- Performs related duties as and when instructed by Direct Supervisor.
- Duties essentially performed in Main Office. Time spent in production of deliverables, supervision, planning, coordination and attending meetings. Required to travel to other offices, Client’s offices, vendor workshops, and attend site visits as necessary, in accordance with corporate or project requirements.
- Serves as the liaison for inter-discipline engineering for the project and is responsible for specific discipline related activities. Responsible for the successful completion of specific scope on schedule and within manpower and budget estimates.
- Decisions limited to the scope of project requirement specifications. Consults with Supervisor on main issues of equipment specification and selection. May make recommendations on mobilisation/demobilisation of personnel. May perform recruitment tasks in identifying qualified engineers and designers.
- Typically supervises a team of engineers to address all discipline specific requirements within the project for Onshore or Offshore/ Subsea Pipelines. Role will be predominantly Onshore focused however it will be beneficial to have Offshore/ Subsea experience to support Consultancy work in particular.
- Capable of performing general duties with no direct supervision and within agreed schedules and budgets.
- May undertake discrete specialist studies/ technology reviews under supervision.
- Liaises with other disciplines to achieve design consistency.
- Supports the Project Management Team in planning, identifying technical issues which could limit progress, impact project budgets. Interfacing with the client.
- Provides necessary input and support to project progress and reporting.
- Principal Engineer is typically accountable to the Lead Engineer or Project Engineering Manager, depending on size and complexity of project.
- Corporate reporting line is to respective Departmental/Group Manager.
- Supervise typically between two and ten engineers
- Master’s degree in engineering (typically Mechanical or Civil), Chartered Status and significant related experience working for Engineering/Client organisations in the Oil and Gas Industry.
- Exposure to Consultancy, FEED/ Detailed Design and EPC projects.
- Strong Onshore Pipelines experience
- Offshore/ Subsea experience preferred
- Knowledge of UK and international specifications and codes.
- Knowledge of Safety and Quality procedures.
- Activity Scheduling and discipline work priorities.
- Excellent coordination, monitoring, and supervisory skills.
- Excellent Communication skills.
- Tactful in resolving issues.
- Cost awareness
- Proactive approach
- Attention to detail
- Team player
- Ability to meet schedules and deadlines.
- Multi-tasking abilities.
- Planning and forecasting ability.
- Analytical and problem-solving mind
What’s on offer:
- Competitive salary
- Hybrid working
NRL connects global engineering companies with the right people to help their businesses grow and thrive, connecting organisations and candidates that share the same values and drive to succeed. As we progress your application our team of talented recruiters will be on hand to help you explore the role and answer any questions you have.
We welcome applications from every walk of life, and are committed to driving diversity and inclusion within the industries we support. That’s why our Member Committed to Diversity status with the Association of Professional Staffing Companies is so important to us.