About the role:
A qualified Principal Engineer/experienced Senior Engineer with developed technical engineering, interpersonal and organisational skills to undertake technical delivery of highway infrastructure solutions on smart motorway projects.
Responsibilities will include:
- Originating and checking of structures Technical Approval documentation (CS 451, RSRF, AIP, certification) and structures inputs to scheme reports in accordance with DMRB.
- Preparation of motorway bridge strengthening and modification designs at feasibility, optioneering and detailed design stages.
- Delivery and checking of bridge capacity assessment calculations and assessment reports, including interpretation of inspection for assessment and/or special inspection and investigation/testing reports.
- Providing technical and supervisory direction to other junior design engineers and technicians placed under your responsibility.
- Preparation and checking of Works drawings and Specifications Appendices in accordance with MCDHW.
- Liaison with clients, Technical Approval Authorities, stakeholders, specialist suppliers and contractors.
- Interfacing effectively with other Jacobs engineering disciplines.
- Monitoring and reporting progress against time and financial objectives.
- Compliance with Jacobs’ safety, quality and environmental policies.
- Significant recent experience in a similar relevant role on similar projects.
- Significant knowledge and experience of the detailed design and modification of a broad range of highway structures, including bridges, underpasses, gantries, culverts and retaining walls, including associated technical approval procedures.
- Detailed knowledge of relevant design standards, the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) and Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCDHW) in relation to both new build and structural modification and refurbishment schemes.
- Experience of organising and supervising allocated resources (which may be based remotely), providing task leadership, mentoring and motivation to engineers and technicians.
- Ability to use and provide guidance on the use of design/analysis software (eg SAM, LUSAS, Midas, Superstress).
- Ability to prioritise and manage workload to deadline and budget.
- Excellent communication and English writing skills, client handling and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of the CDM Regulations (Principal Designer & Designer) and safety in design.
- Chartered MICE or MIStructE.
- Experience of smart motorway design, ECI or design and build projects.
- Experience of BIM in relation to creation of highway structures models and drawings
- Project management qualification such as PRINCE2.
- Health and Safety training in the Bridges Sector
- Competitive hourly rate
- Long-term contract
- Opportunity to work with a multi-disciplined engineering consultancy