About The Role:
To operate as a Technical Author responsible for gathering all the necessary information for the preparation, amendment or periodic review of the technical documentation and to establish the rationale for the document content. Delivers packages of technical work to projects or seeded into projects to provide support and local delivery of technical work packages for the PM/RE.
- Provide technical/engineering analysis, research and advice to relevant areas of the organisation.
- Deliver the task with writing, development and/or amendment of any type of document, having sufficient understanding of the task and associated risks.
- Gather information, carry out review risk assessment and complete task analysis.
- Ensure documents pre-checks and all approvals and authorisations in place.
- A proposed improvement resulting from periodic review, to correct shortfalls or errors identified through use or to improve/enhance the overall performance and use of a documentation.
- Assist in effective management of the customer, through interfacing with customers in relation to standard issues, including resolving queries and problems customers and supply chain on design issues.
- Ensure procedures, codes and standards are correctly identified and applied to engineering and technical activities.
- Keep up to date in relevant technical areas and develop skills and capabilities to be able to provide effective delivery. Maintain knowledge of Industry best practice, promote a culture of engineering best practice, support in driving cultural development and change.
Delivery of work packages assigned by the project PM/RE, ensuring that the work is delivered to the appropriate quality, cost and programme, and is compliant with the appropriate safety, regulatory and legal requirements.
Education – Academic & Professional Qualifications:
- Part professional with typically 5-8 years relevant experience.
- Lower professional qualifications e.g. HND/BTEC/HTEC with typically 5-10 years relevant experience.
- Experience of technical author role generating and modifying procedures, guidance and other technical documents.
- Experience in working collaboratively to deliver activities on a range of project types.
- Communications skills and the ability to interface with in-house engineering design personnel and Client representatives.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Comprehensive knowledge of technical discipline and its application within nuclear projects.
- Theoretical knowledge to solve problems in developed technologies using well proven analytical techniques.
- Good understanding of the importance of nuclear safety and security and how Technical contributes to this.
- Good understanding of governing laws, key regulations and standards for the nuclear industry.
- Knowledge of the Sellafield Ltd. Management System structure and the hierarchy of standards and an understanding of those standards most relevant to Engineering Design.
- Knowledge of the Nuclear Professionalism Standards and Expectations, utilising these in day-to-day decision making.
- Able to work with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with nuclear plant design and awareness of nuclear safety requirements and implications.
- Nuclear industry experience and particularly ‘hands on’ experience in a nuclear plant environment.
- Knowledge of Cyber Security, but not essential.