NRL are working with a leading offshore renewables client who now require a Senior Electrical Test Engineer to join their team on a permanent basis.
The position of Senior Electrical Test Engineer will act both as a technical authority on the HV testing capability offshore, as well as, ensuring compliance with High Voltage Electrical Safety Regulations and compilation, revision, amendment and effective development of processes and procedures specific to AC Withstand testing Offshore. In collaboration with the Factory Test team, R&D functions and working with OEM’s this role ensures successful offshore testing campaigns, supporting the implementation of AC Resonance test activities for high profile sub-sea power cable projects for offshore wind installation.
The role is onshore based but will be based offshore during of AC Resonance test activities. The Senior Electrical Test Engineer is the person responsible for overseeing the implementation of a brand new, market leading, HV Test technology being used offshore.
Main responsibilities of the role:
• Play a key role in ensuring compliance in electrical safety matters relating to offshore testing operations.
• Interpreting and implementing of relevant international standards and their practical application to on-site test and system operational scenarios.
• Liaise with equipment Offshore Installation Manager and client regularly; attending meetings, Training, Type Testing, supporting procedures and FAT’s where appropriate.
• Acting as the on-site subject matter engineering expert on all practical aspects of electrical testing, including the operation of the HV Resonant test system.
• Leading the implementation of Offshore AC Resonance Testing by liaising with all stakeholders to plan and execute all documentation (e.g. procedures, circuit diagrams, RAMS) relating to operation of the test unit.
• Strong understanding of Electrical switching operations, earthing systems and cable principles such as cable losses and the effects of Q Factor on a test circuit.
• Responsible for the effective management and leadership of the Service Support Engineers co-ordinating the timely work required and the quality of the work of those direct reports, managing their development within in order to ensure that the team operates efficiently and with energy and enthusiasm.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the role holder is required to undertake such duties and responsibilities as may reasonably be required from time to time.
To comply with all Health and Safety, Quality and Environmental standards and procedures established by the company’s policies and in accordance with the requirements of relevant legislation and any regulatory bodies at all times. To have read, understood and comply with the company Health and Safety manual, policies and procedures and to implement these, at all times, to ensure both your own safety and the safety of those who may be affected by your actions or omissions.
• Experience of working within a team environment with a range of engineers, technicians and operatives, operating and/or maintaining electrical test equipment and/or electrical distribution network equipment.
• Understanding of the risks and operations required to safely test electrical systems
• Knowledge and experience of electrical safety rules, AP or SAP experience during HV test operations
• Offer strong written and verbal communication skills, capable of structured and concise reporting, able to discuss and guide clearly on an individual basis or to management.
• A strong desire to learn, develop and use this knowledge to train others.
• Experience of HV testing of cables systems and/or operating HV test equipment in a similar industry
• Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or equivalent, and/or Member (MIET) of the Institution of Engineering & Technology, UK
• Knowledge of the jointing and termination of MV and HV cable systems
• Technical experience in the construction and operation of LV and HV distribution systems
• Fault finding on cable systems
• Experience working offshore on Electrical installations
• Understanding of electrical systems on Offshore Wind Farms
• Understanding of Partial Discharge and its effect on electrical installations.
• HND level qualification in electrical engineering (minimum), BEng/MEng/MSc degree in a subject containing significant electrical engineering content is highly preferred.
NRL connects global engineering companies with the right people to help their businesses grow and thrive, connecting organisations and candidates that share the same values and drive to succeed. As we progress your application our team of talented recruiters will be on hand to help you explore the role and answer any questions you have.
We welcome applications from every walk of life, and are committed to driving diversity and inclusion within the industries we support. That’s why our Member Committed to Diversity status with the Association of Professional Staffing Companies is so important to us.